In May 2015, the Good¢ents Board of Trustees reviewed 12 applications and awarded six grants totaling $30,750. Here’s a breakdown of the recent grants:
- Fairbanks Library Association: $2,500 towards the purchase of books for 16 lunchtime readings at all FNSB School District elementary schools during the 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 school years.
- Alaska Dental Society Charitable Activities Fund: $7,500 towards the cost of providing a two-day dental clinic (to be held at the Carlson Center on August 7-8, 2015), which will assist up to 1,000 residents.
- Greater Fairbanks Habitat for Humanity: $7,500 towards expenses related to renovations and the installation of geothermal heating to be performed on a log building (on GFHFH property located on Chena Pump Road), which will eventually be available for use by GFHFH volunteers and other non-profits.
- Joel’s Place: $2,500 towards the purchase of media lab equipment.
- ABC Preschool: $3,250 to purchase a laptop, color printer, backup hard drive and projector.
- Festival Fairbanks: $7,500 to be used towards electrical upgrades and railing repairs within Golden Heart Plaza.
All grants from the Good¢ents Foundation are awarded to nonprofit organizations and individuals in need with GVEA’s service area. Applications are reviewed quarterly in February, May, August and November by a volunteer board of trustees. The next application deadline is July 31, 2015. Applications and more information about the program can be found online here.
Good¢ents is funded by the members of Golden Valley Electric Association. Since the program began in 2011, GVEA members have funded grants totaling $475,250 to various local nonprofits and individuals in need.
Thank you to all the members who voluntarily “roundup” their monthly invoice to the next dollar. The cents you contribute is greatly appreciated and really makes a difference within our communities.