A unique class will be offered through UAF this fall. It’s “SOC-09 Understanding Your Electric Co-op,” which will be held in UAF’s University Park Bldg., Room 158, located at 1000 University Ave. One course with four different classes – each with a unique topic – will be offered on consecutive Thursday afternoons, running from 3:45pm to 5:00pm. Here’s the schedule:
- Oct. 20 – The Big Picture
- Instructor: Cory Borgeson, GVEA’s President & CEO
- Oct. 27 – The Board’s Role: Governance & Member Engagement
- Instructor: Aren Gunderson, Director for GVEA’s District 1
- Nov. 3 – The Ins & Outs of Being a SNAP Producer
- Instructor: Dan Bishop, GVEA’s Manager of Engineering Services
- Nov. 10 – The Nuts & Bolts: Generation, Transmission & Distribution of Utility-Scale Electricity, and GVEA & The Railbelt
- Instructors: Lynn Thompson, GVEA’s Vice President of Power Supply, and Paul Morgan, GVEA’s Gas Turbine Plant Manager
This course is being offered through UAF’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) department. To learn more about OLLI, visit their website at www.uaf.edu/olli.
The course is free to those who have an OLLI membership. For those who do not have an OLLI membership, the course fee is $15 (for all four classes).