The Good¢ents Board of Trustees met in August. Eight applications were reviewed, and five grants totaling $31,522 were awarded. Here’s a summary of these recent grants:
- Alaska Health Fair: $7,000 grant to assist with free hematology testing to at-risk members within our communities.
- Boys & Girls Club: $2,800 grant to purchase recreational equipment.
- Nenana Volunteer Fire Dept.: $10,322 grant to purchase a snowmobile to assist with search-and-rescue activities.
- North Star Imagination Library: $9,000 grant to go towards the purchase of books for preschoolaged children.
- UAF’s LION Program: $2,400 grant to purchase 10 individual newspaper subscriptions for the next 12 months, providing an opportunity for incarcerated people to learn and be aware of local and world events.
All grants from the Good¢ents Foundation are awarded to nonprofit organizations within GVEA’s service area. Applications are reviewed quarterly in February, May, August and November by a volunteer board of trustees. The next application deadline is October 31, 2020. Applications and more information about the program can be found online here.
Good¢ents is funded by the generous members of Golden Valley Electric Association. Since the program began in 2011, GVEA members have funded grants totaling $1,167,583.
Thank you to all of the members who voluntarily “round up” their monthly billing statement to the next dollar. The cents you contribute is greatly appreciated and really makes a difference within the communities GVEA serves.